Your cart is empty
Messy Sushi Board
RECIPE BY Valentine Thomas
PHOTOS BY Tyler Sharp
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN MODERN HUNTSMAN, VOLUME FOUR: THE WOMEN’S ISSUE
Appetizer, Serves 4-6
2 Cups Sushi Rice
1 Splash of Rice Vinegar
10 Firm Fish (any you like)
1 Red Onion, thinly sliced*
1 Cucumber, thinly sliced*
1 Tablespoon of Sesame Seeds
1 Zest of an Orange
3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
3 Tablespoons of Yuzu**
– Garlic Salt
– Nori (Seaweed) Sheets for Serving
*Fun alternate ingredients: pineapple or mango, diced bell peppers, green onions, pomegranate seeds, jalapeños.
**Substitute: Fresh Lime Juice. You can find yuzu in sushi shops or Japanese grocery stores.
1. In a small bowl, add 3 tablespoons of yuzu (if you couldn’t find it, use the same amount of lime juice), 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, and the juice of half a lime.
1. Cook the sushi rice as per the instructions on the package (or with a rice cooker).
2. When the rice is cooked, add a splash of rice vinegar to it and stir.
3. Spread the rice on a board (I like to use a wooden chopping board for presentation).
4. While the rice is cooling on the board, thinly slice the fish in pieces about ¼ cm in width.
5. Place the fish on the rice when it has cooled down, and spread all ofthe other ingredients on top.
6. Top off with the sesame seeds, orange zest, paprika and garlic salt.
7. Either pour the sauce directly over the board, or use it as a dipping sauce.
8. Serve with the Nori sheets on the side.
Make History, Reforge A Legacy