Your cart is empty
Blackened Quail with Charred Summer Vegetables
RECIPE BY Chef Charlie Palmer
PHOTOS BY Michael Woosley
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN MODERN HUNTSMAN, VOLUME FOUR: THE WOMEN’S ISSUE
INGREDIENTS FOR THE QUAIL
6 Quail – Whole wild (or farm raised), plucked, gutted, cut in half lengthwise
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
6 Tablespoons Smoked Paprika
4 Teaspoons Onion Powder
4 Teaspoons Sea Salt
4 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
2 Teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
2 Teaspoons Dried Thyme
2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
2 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
DIRECTIONS FOR THE QUAIL
1. Heat grill to 400˚F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients to form the blackening seasoning. Season the quail well with blackening seasoning. Brush the grill with the olive oil until well-greased.
3. Place the quail on the grill skin side down. Cook for roughly 3-4 minutes, occasionally rotating on the skin side. Flip the quail and grill for another 3-4 minutes, occasionally rotating on the back side. Remove from grill.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE GRAPE CHUTNEY
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Cups Purple Seedless Grapes
1/2 Cup White Balsamic Vinegar
1 Cup Dry Sherry Wine
2 Teaspoons Yellow Mustard Seeds
1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Clove
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
2 Teaspoons Ground Espelette Pepper
DIRECTIONS FOR THE GRAPE CHUTNEY
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
2. Add grapes, sherry, vinegar, mustard seeds, clove, cinnamon, espelette, and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the grapes have broken down, 10 to 20 minutes.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SUMMER VEGETABLES
4 Whole Carrots, large, peeled
12 Patty Pan Squash
2 Fennel Bulbs
20 Whole Red Pearl Onion, peeled
2 Teaspoons Sea Salt
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper, fresh ground
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
10 Garlic Cloves, peeled
3 Sprigs Thyme, fresh
3 Sprigs Rosemary, fresh
DIRECTIONS FOR THE SUMMER VEGETABLES
1. Preheat grill to 400˚F. Place a 12-inch cast iron pan on the grill or stovetop.
2. Cut the carrots, zucchini, and the fennel into 1 to 1 1/2-inch pieces. Cut the patty pan squash and pearl onions in half, lengthwise.
3. Add the olive oil to the cast iron skillet. Heat the olive oil for 3 minutes or until smoking point.
4. Add all the vegetables to the cast iron skillet. Roast the vegetables, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes to ensure equal browning.
5. Add the fresh thyme and rosemary. Roast the vegetables, stirring occasionally for another 12–15 minutes. Season with sea salt and fresh black pepper.
Make History, Reforge A Legacy